Penicillin V (phenoxymethylpenicillin)
Please note: This is for information only.
Refer to local guidelines for treatment recommendations
- A penicillin
- Absorption reduced by food therefore take on an empty stomach.
- Usual adult dose 500mg qds orally.
- Amoxicillin generally preferred
Active against most strains of:
- Streptococci (Group A, B, C, G, viridans, pneumoniae, milleri)
- Neisseria meningitidis
- Neisseria gonorrhoea - although many strains have low level resistance
- Clostridium difficile
- Clostridium perfringens
Not active against most strains of: