A patient feedback survey for physiotherapy musculoskeletal outpatient services was undertaken between April and May 2011. 550 questionnaires were distributed and 376 responses were received, giving a response rate of 68% overall.
Questions were asked in specific domains:
• 95% (n356) of patients felt involved in deciding about their treatment and almost all patients (99.5%, n377) stated that they were given the chance to ask questions. 98% (n363) of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that the clinician fully explained the treatment options to them.
‘The investigation into my problem was thorough. I felt I was listened to and was reassured as to the outcome’
• 98% (n368) of patients either agreed or strongly agreed that the clinician fully explained the findings after the examination.
• The vast majority (95%, n343) of respondents felt that they had a better understanding of their condition as a result of attending the clinic and 91% (n326) felt that they had a better understanding of how to manage their problem or condition as a result of attending the clinic.
‘Very understanding of my problems and able to open my eyes to potential underlying psychological problems that may hinder my condition’
87% (n320) of respondents felt that the written information that they received was clear and easy to understand.
• Although only 1 respondent did not feel that the written information was clear, 38 (10.4%) stated that they did not receive any written information.
‘Having the opportunity to choose an appropriate and convenient appointment day and time is extremely helpful. Clinic staff very helpful and easy to speak with - ample time allowed for giving information and for asking questions.
Respect and dignity
• With the exception of 1 respondent, everyone felt that the staff were courteous and considerate.
‘Courteous, helpful and very informative’
Other feedback from service users:
• I can't see how my experience here could improve.
• I felt my water based sessions really helped get to grips with my injury and really helped me to start making progress to mend. Thanks
• None - very pleased with the service so easy to self refer and saw someone within one week. Excellent.
• I would like to have been in sooner but understand the waiting list system.
• The overall experience was very good. Staff are friendly and informative.
• I found the whole process was delivered in a professional and courteous manner, so in my opinion needs no updating or improving.
• Parking difficult but that’s not a medical problem.
• I have been very pleased with the treatment I have received so far and is helping my condition to enjoy a life with less pain.
• Received excellent care and positive advice.
• Very pleasant personal service - feel they cared!
• Lovely atmosphere - enjoyed the experience.
• V. pleased feel much better and confident. Thank you.
• Might be able to cut down on paperwork/admin by doing more 'on-line'.
• The receptionist was incredibly helpful and tried really hard to get me seen as quickly as possible
• I wish I had been referred earlier the service was very good.
• This was on excellent experience and far exceeded my expectations.
• The diagrams for exercises could be better. No complaints about anything else.
• Drop-in service much appreciated and well-organised.
• I am very satisfied with the service I have received. It has transformed my life from pain and limited movement, to normality again. Thank you!
• Very helpful to have early appointments to fit around work.
• Very supportive and understanding both physically and mentally.