Breastfeeding & Baby Friendly success
Staff at our hospitals are celebrating National Breastfeeding Week this week as well as their success in achieving the UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative accreditation once again.
The week is packed with events including prize draws on the maternity ward at GRH as well as visits from a sling library, real nappy company and breastfeeding support groups. There is also a cake sale in the main atrium on Tuesday 27th June from 11am – 1pm, with proceeds going to furniture for the baby café on the maternity ward.
UNICEF Baby Friendly
Maternity and neonatal services received the award for giving newborn babies and their mums high standards of care and for their work in supporting women with the different options for feeding their baby.
The hospital’s Specialist Breastfeeding Midwife, Sue Maxwell, said: “We are absolutely delighted that we have achieved full baby friendly status again, it’s a rigorous assessment and the maternity and neonatal teams have worked hard to achieve this accreditation. It shows that parents who have their babies at our hospitals are receiving the right help to make sure their children get the best possible start in life.
“Breastfeeding protects babies against a wide range of serious illnesses, including gastroenteritis and respiratory infections in infancy as well as allergies and diabetes in childhood. It isn’t always easy and lots of new mothers need guidance. We’re committed to making sure they get the support they need and are pleased that has been recognised by UNICEF.”
The Baby Friendly Initiative is a global programme which provides a practical and effective way for health services to improve the care given to all mothers and babies. In the UK, the initiative works with health professionals to ensure that mothers and babies receive high-quality support to enable successful breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding week 2017 – list of events:
- Tuesday 27 June – Cake Sale (proceeds going to furniture for the baby café on the maternity ward).
Maternity ward, GRH:
- Monday 26 June - Cheltenham and Gloucester Sling Library
- Tuesday 27 June - the Real Nappy Company
- Wednesday 28 June - peer supporters from Gloucestershire Breastfeeding Supporters' Network (GBSN) who are also providing Bacon Baps to celebrate at their morning groups throughout the week
- Thursday 29 June - Exercise to music wearing babies in slings!
- Friday 30 June - The Breast Feeding Network
Cheltenham Aveta Birth Unit
- Monday 26 June - coffee morning and breast feeding support