New 99 shuttlebus service launches
We are proud to announce that we will be working with local family company Pulham’s Coaches to provide its newly revised 99 shuttlebus service.
The new service, which will be launched on Monday 14th August 2017, will continue to link staff and passengers to Gloucestershire Royal and Cheltenham General Hospitals (GRH & CGH) five days a week (Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays). Under the revised service the number of bus stops will increase from five to eight, the buses will be bigger and carry more passengers and the service will start earlier and finish later.
Pulham’s Coaches were awarded the contract following a competitive process supported by Gloucestershire County Council. The current 99 shuttlebus service, which is provided by Stagecoach, will run until (and including) Friday 11 August 2017 before the service is transitioned to Pulham’s Coaches the following Monday.
Key benefits of the newly revised service include:
- More bus stops: Under the new arrangements the number of bus stops will increase from five to eight
- New bus stop at Arle Court Park & Ride: Direct access from the M5 motorway to our two main hospitals in Gloucester and Cheltenham which has the potential to reach a greater number of passengers, helping to better manage traffic flows into and out of each and reducing emissions
- Bigger buses: More staff can travel to and in between sites, particularly during the rush hour
- Extended operating times: The new service will operate from 6.35am – 7.50pm, five days a week (Monday to Friday).
- Modern buses: WiFi enabled, USB & Socket charging for devices and low emission vehicles (EURO 6).
Neil Jackson, GHNHSFT Director of Estates and Facilities, said: “This announcement is part of our wider travel to work strategy and as one of the very few employers in the region that provides such a service to its staff we are rightly proud to officially announce the continuation of the 99 shuttlebus under the stewardship of Gloucestershire-based Pulham’s Coaches.
“Stagecoach has done a wonderful job over the years in providing the service and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their work. However, I am confident that in due course the newly revised service will reach even more people and I would like to warmly welcome passengers on board.”
Kathryn Pulham, Pulham’s Coaches Finance Director, added: “We are thrilled to be operating the new 99 service which will provide staff, patients and visitors with an excellent 30 minute service connecting the two hospital sites. The new vehicles will provide plenty of comfortable leather seating, as well as WiFi and device charging. We are delighted to be working in partnership with Gloucestershire Hospitals to deliver this new enhanced service.”
The revised 99 shuttlebus will serve Gloucester City Centre, a new Park & Ride stop in Cheltenham as well as stops in Cheltenham Town Centre. The aim of incorporating these new stops to the service is to enable staff and patients from all over the county to easily connect with existing local bus and Park & Ride services (including Cheltenham Racecourse routes D and E which run every 8-10 minutes) into the town centres.
- Clarence Parade - Buses serving this stop include: D, E, F, 99, 94U, 94X
- North Street Stop 18 (by Primark) - Bus serving this stop: 99, F
- Albion Street - Buses serving this stop include 99, 606 & 606S, B, F, 801
- Cheltenham General Hospital, College Road
- Arle Court Park and Ride
*St James St (on the return loop from Gloucester to Cheltenham only)
- Gloucester Bus Station, Market Parade
- Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Tower Block entrance
How much does it cost?
Travel is free on display of a valid staff ID card (GHNHSFT). However, a £1 fare is applicable to staff joining the service at Arle Court Park and Ride (this includes car parking).
For the public:
- CGH to GRH: Single: £3.30 Return: £5
- Cheltenham town centre to CGH: Single: £1.50 Return: £2
- GRH to CGH: Single: £3.30 Return: £5
- Gloucester bus station to GRH: Single: £1.50 Return: £2
The service will operate every 30 minutes starting at 6:35am until 7.50pm. View the 99 Bus timetable