Our Young Influencers are a group of young people (aged 11 – 25) who are patients, ex-patients, siblings and interested young members of the local community who help make our hospitals services inclusive of young people’s perspectives and needs
We're looking for more young people to join us, our meetings often have first-timers joining us, come alone or bring a friend, we’re all family here.
We meet once a month, usually in-person, to discuss projects and meet special guests from services or local community. We recognise the value the Young Influencers bring in shaping our services and how we engage local people.
A Typical Monthly Meeting
Meetings are always outside of school hours, they usually last for 2 hours one evening a month and generally follow this format:
- Ice Breaker
- Training or Special Guest Interactive Session: Insight into what a team or service offer or direct involvement on a project. Training provided will always be free of charge
- Project Feedback: How are our current projects going? Next steps
- Free time for games or to socialise at the end of the session
The meetings are led by the elected Chair and Deputy of the Young Influencer Group, who also attend our Council of Governors.
What will I have to do?
Being a Young Influencer is a voluntary role and the time commitment varies, but it’s vital it does not interfere with your studying or existing work commitments and we will endeavour to work around these. We will give you all the help you need, including someone to link in with.
As a member you’ll:
- Attend monthly meetings
- Collectively represent young people’s voices at Board/Governor Meetings
- Attend wider trust events and activities (optional)
- Work on projects to engage young people, that you have helped design
- Volunteer for our weekend club, where young people play games and provide company on wards to our patients
- Have monthly access to our Trust apprenticeship advisor
- Gain access to work experience and shadowing opportunities
- Help us grow our Trust Membership
In return you will have something great to put on your CV or UCAS forms and contribute to the development of services and encourage change at our Trust. This opportunity is welcome to all young people of all backgrounds.
You do not need to have a history of being in hospital or having a loved one in hospital we just want you to help us understand how young people think today.
How do I put my name forward to become a Young Influencer?
All Young Influencers are required to complete a short application form and have an onboarding call prior to attending the monthly meetings to bring them up to speed.
Young Influencer Meetings
All meetings are in person and include key discussions, presentations, and skills training:
- 17 February 2023 Miles Wagstaff (Consultant Paediatrician) & Claire Watson Pople (Midwifery) and Suzie Compton (Healthwatch)
- 17 March 2023 Mark Lane (GMS) & Libby Timney (ODP)
- 21 April 2023 Jo Shaw (Occupational Therapist, Hollie Smith (Upper GI, Secretary Supervisor)
- 19 May 2023 Rachel Hine (Paediatric Dietitian) & Jo Shaw (Occupational Therapist)
- 16 June 2023 Guests TBC
- 22 July 2023 Guests TBC
- 18 August 2023 Guests TBC
- 28 October 2022 Mental health careers talk Aadil Mehta
- 18 November 2022 CPR Training with Ali Patchet
- 06 December 2022 Guests Taylor Maltby (TNA) & Nicky Cook (Breast Surgeon)
- 13 January 2023 Guests Jackie Grolimund (Site Management)