Patient advice and support
Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and Patient Support Service offer confidential advice, support and information about your healthcare and our services.
Last updated: 16 April 2021
Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
Our PALS team are here to support our patients, relatives and colleagues by discussing their experiences and helping to resolve concerns.
Our team are friendly and supportive, and here to listen to you. PALS can support you in the following ways:
- help answer your health-related questions
- provide impartial information on a range of issues relating to hospital services
- explain the Trust complaints procedure and how to raise a formal complaint
- listen to your suggestions for service improvements
- offer advice about the NHS and support groups outside the NHS
This service is available 8.30am to 4.30pm weekdays only.
You can contact us by calling 0800 019 3282. If we cannot answer your call, please leave a message and we will call you back as soon as we can.
You can also email us at email@example.com or write to us at:
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
Great Western Road
We can also arrange to speak with you via video call. Video calling is as convenient as a phone call, with the added value of face to face communication.
If you would like to speak to a member of the team via video call, please complete our feedback form, providing details of what you wish to discuss. We will then contact you to schedule an appointment.
If you would like to tell us when something has gone well or if there is something we can improve, you can provide us with feedback.
This feedback will be shared with those involved in your care.
Patient Support Service
The Patient Support Service is mainly overseen by the PALS team. The service is available to relatives and carers and offers answers to queries relating to:
- locating a patient
- patient belongings
You can also send letters and photographs to loved ones, that our team will deliver.
By offering this service, we allow our colleagues on the wards time to focus on caring for our patients. This service is available 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday.
If you wish to speak with a member of the PALS team regarding patient support services you can do so in the following ways:
- call us on 0800 019 3282. If we are unable to answer your call, please leave a message and we will call you back at the earliest opportunity.
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You should also send any letters or photographs to this email address.
- via video call in our drop-in clinic. Please visit the patient advice and liaison service waiting area for this. This service is only available weekdays from 10am to 4pm.
Support during COVID-19
To help support our patients, their families and friends during the period of our new restricted visiting times, we offer a service that allows you to drop off essential personal items to patients.
This service is supported by our volunteers, and will be available between midday and 2pm, 7 days a week at:
- the Pillars Entrance, Cheltenham General Hospital
- the Chapel Entrance, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
In order to support government guidelines during this lockdown period, we can only accept 1 small bag containing items that are absolutely essential to the wellbeing of the patient. We will be unable to accept suitcases and large holdalls.
Before making a journey to drop off belongings, please discuss with the ward if this is an essential journey, as the hospital can supply basic toiletries and bed clothes, and patients will be able to request items such as a newspaper from the hospital shop via their ward staff.
We want to support keeping our patients, our staff and our community safe by limiting the number of people in our hospital, and helping to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
If you have any queries, please contact the ward that your relative is on for more information.