Pathology: Information for Patients
Our lab staff perform tests on tissues and fluids to help with diagnosis and treatment. Our pathology staff also provide blood tests at our hospitals and in the community.
Getting your test results
The Cheltenham General Hospital and Gloucestershire Royal Hospital Pathology Department reception desks are open:
- Monday – Friday: 8.30am – 5pm
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
- Bank Holidays: Closed
IMPORTANT: Please not the above times are not for blood tests/Phlebotomy.
All test results must be obtained from and discussed with your GP or the hospital team that is caring for you. The laboratories cannot discuss treatment, give test results or any personal information directly to patients or patient's relatives.
This also applies to any enquiries about your treatment regarding blood transfusions.
For information about blood transfusions, including the donation of blood, please visit the NHS Blood and Transplant website
Contacting our labs
Department of Pathology, Cheltenham General Hospital, Sandford Road, Cheltenham, Glos. GL53 7AN
- Pathology reception: 0300 422 3021
- General Office: 0300 422 4056
Department of Pathology, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Great Western Road, Gloucester, Glos. GL1 3NN
- Pathology reception: 0300 422 5286
- General Office: 0300 422 5239
Finding our labs
Cheltenham General Hospital
The Pathology building is directly opposite A&E on College Road.
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
Pathology is in the Edward Jenner building opposite the Hyde Lane pedestrian entrance. Patients dropping off samples may park outside of the building for a few minutes only.
Blood Test services provided by GHFT Phlebotomy Service
From 1 July 2020, there will be changes to our phlebotomy services.
Community phlebotomy services are currently provided in a range of settings and locations within Gloucestershire, including ‘drop in’ hospital clinics and GP practices. The CCG has moved the majority of blood test services back to GP surgeries and other community settings, in order to:
- improve services
- reduce waiting times
- avoid the need for patients to travel to Gloucestershire Royal or Cheltenham General Hospital
More GP practices will now provide this service to their patients which, for most patients, will reduce travel and waiting times and avoid hospital car parking charges. Some patients may still need to come to our hospitals for blood tests, including patients who:
- require specialist tests
- are under the care of a hospital consultant
- are aged 6 to 11 years old
Phlebotomy services based at Cirencester Hospital
Service changes in place from 27th July 2020 – GP referred patients will be required to make an appointment.
In response to Covid-19 the department has recognised that it is becoming increasingly challenging to ensure that patients waiting for a blood test maintain social distancing. To ensure that the department can maintain the safety and distancing of patients and staff alike, we are making changes to the way that GP patients can be referred to use this service. As from 27th July 2020 any patient that has been referred by their GP to the Cirencester Hospital Phlebotomy department will be required to make an appointment. Not only will the new appointment system help in our response to Covid-19 but it will also improve the waiting times for GP patients being referred to this service.
To make an appointment for a blood test on or after 27th July 2020, please click on the website link below and carefully follow the instructions:
Additional Information Regarding Appointments
- You can book an appointment for someone else if they are unable to make the appointment themselves.
- If you cannot attend the appointment do not worry, you will be able to make another appointment.
- Please do not attempt to contact the department by phone with appointment queries or to ask staff to make an appointment for you as staff will be busy seeing patients.
- Digital copies of blood test request forms will not be accepted. You will need a physical copy of the blood request form provided by your GP.
- Patients attending Cirencester Hospital for an Outpatients appointment, who have then been provided with a blood test request form, will not be required to make an appointment.
- Patients aged from 6 – 11 years of age can be referred to this service or to Phlebotomy Outpatient services at Cheltenham General Hospital or Gloucestershire Royal Hospital.
Service Opening Hours
Monday – Thursday 08:30 to 15:30 (15:30 – 16:00 accessible for Outpatients only. No GP patients will be seen)
Friday 08:30 to 12:30 (12:30 – 13:00 accessible for Outpatients only. No GP patients will be seen)
Please note: all blood test services are closed on Bank Holidays and weekends.
Booking a semen analysis appointment
Semen samples for fertility analysis are complex to process and must be examined as soon after production as possible. We therefore operate an appointment system to ensure sufficient time can be allocated to carry out each analysis.
You do not need to make an appointment if your semen sample is being examined to confirm that a vasectomy operation has been successful.
Appointments are available for weekday mornings, Monday to Friday. To make an appointment please call 0300 422 4200 between 09.00 and 12.00 Monday to Friday. This line is closed on Bank Holidays.
Please note: your test must be requested by your GP or a hospital doctor. They will provide you with a semen fertility analysis request form.
A room is available at the Gloucester laboratory if you need to produce the sample on site.
For more information take a look at our patient leaflet, Producing a semen sample for examination
Understanding your tests
Lab tests online provides useful information designed help you understand the many clinical laboratory tests that are used in diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of disease.
Also find more information in our Patient Leaflets section.
Feedback and complaints
Please click on the link below. This will direct you to the Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust feedback and complaints pages.