This preparation technique is appropriate for the following sample types:
Bile duct brushings
- Cut the wire using the wire cutters provided.
- Place immediately into a labeled CytoLyt specimen pot.
- Label pot with surname, forename, and unique identifying number e.g. MRN number.
- Send to the Histology laboratory with the appropriate Yellow Non-Gynae request form correctly completed.
- Store at room temperature.
- Transport as soon as possible at ambient temperature.
All samples must be accompanied by a yellow non-gynae cytology request form. The completion of the form and the labeling of the sample must conform to the Policy for Specimen and Request Form Labelling for Pathology Users.
Routine non-gynaecological samples will be reported within 5 working days.
In cases when more complex pathology requires further laboratory investigations or referral for expert opinion a provisional report will be issued within the above time scale to be followed by a further complete supplementary report.
Urgent non-gynaecological samples will be reported within the same working day when received in the laboratory by 3.00 pm.
For a sample to be treated as urgent the laboratory must be notified on Cheltenham 4219.