Fine Needle Aspiration of Thyroid, Head and Neck and all Other Sites Except Breast
- The preparation technique outlined below should be followed for all sites except breast.
- The slides and Cytolyt pots should be labelled with the appropriate patient details before starting the aspiration.
- Slides - please use pencil only and label with surname, forename date of birth and/or hospital number.
- Cytolyt Pot - please use non soluble ink only and label with surname, forename, date of birth and/or hospital number. A label is preferable but must be initialled to designate that it has been checked.
1. First Aspiration
- Make 2 air dried smears by this method using a second slide as a spreader.
- Ensure material is on labelled side of slide.
- Rinse any residual material left in the syringe into the sample vial as in stage 2b below.
- Discard syringe and needle.
2. Second aspiration
2a.Using a new needle and syringe repeat steps 1a – 1d above. 2b.
Rinse needle into a sample vial containing Cytolyt as shown.
- Send to the laboratory in a specimen transport bag:
- 2 clearly labelled prepared smears in transport box
- Clearly labelled Cytolyt sample pot containing washings in cytolyt - check cap is securely tightened
- Completed non-gynae cytology request form
- Please note that if the aspiration yields copious material e.g. blood or cyst contents, then this is better expelled from the syringe into a sterile universal for processing in the laboratory rather than preparation into direct smears.
- Store at room temperature.
- Transport as soon as possible at ambient temperature.
- All samples must be accompanied by a yellow non gynae cytology request form. The completion of the form and the labelling of the sample must conform to the Policy for Specimen and Request Form Labelling for Pathology Users.
- Routine non-gynaecological samples will be reported within 5 working days.
- In cases when more complex pathology requires further laboratory investigations or referral for expert opinion a provisional report will be issued within the above time scale to be followed by a further complete supplementary report.
- Urgent non-gynaecological samples will be reported within one working day of receipt.
- For a sample to be treated as urgent the laboratory must be notified on Cheltenham 0300 422 4219.
The Best Care For Everyone