Sputum Non-Gynae Cytology (spit pneumonia bronchiectasis CAP HAP VAP COPD)
- Sputum samples are now regarded as of little value.
- Wide mouthed sterile sputum pot
- Patients must be asked to produce a "deep cough" specimen.
- To maximise the accuracy of non-gynae cytology three samples of sputum collected on consecutive days are ideal.
- Samples should ideally be delivered fresh each day to the laboratory, but if this is a problem with a patient in an outlying area then they can all be sent together on day 3.
- Collect separate samples into separate sterile pots.
- Samples consisting of saliva only will be reported as inadequate.
- Store at fridge temperature.
- Transport as soon as possible at ambient temperature.
- All samples must be accompanied by a yellow non gynae cytology request form. The completion of the form and the labelling of the sample must conform to the Policy for Specimen and Request Form Labelling for Pathology Users.
- Routine non-gynaecological samples will be reported within 5 working days.
- In cases when more complex pathology requires further laboratory investigations or referral for expert opinion a provisional report will be issued within the above time scale to be followed by a further complete supplementary report.
- Urgent non-gynaecological samples will be reported within one working day of receipt.
- For a sample to be treated as urgent the laboratory must be notified on Cheltenham 0300 422 4219.
The Best Care For Everyone