Tissue and biopsy sample microscopy & culture
Contact the laboratory before sending and inform us if urgent or routine
- Please indicate the patient location (ward) on the request form
- If unusual pathogens are suspected (e.g. Leishmania, Mycobacteria, fungi), please specify on the request form
- Please send separate samples if histology is required
- See also:
Place excised material in a dry, sterile leak proof container
DO NOT ADD FORMALIN
- Relevant clinical details
- Travel history (if relevant)
- Recent, current and intended antibiotics
Transport immediately to the laboratory. Refrigerate samples if transport is delayed.
Microscopy results available on day of receipt
A preliminary report is issued after 2 - 4 days. All cultures undergo an extended 5 day incubation for anaerobes.
Final culture results: 5 – 7 days
Tests for unusual pathogens will take longer