An apprenticeship at our hospitals is a great way of gaining qualifications, work place experience and can help you take the first step towards a career in the NHS.
Earn while you learn
- apprenticeships offer structured training with an employer and lead to nationally recognised qualifications
- they provide a route into hundreds of different careers, including many in organisations providing NHS healthcare
- apprenticeships can take anything from one to four years to complete
- they are open to anyone from the age of 16
- apart from learning in the workplace, you may go on day or block release to a training centre or college
- you work towards a competence qualification (based on what you can do in the workplace) and a knowledge qualification, or a qualification combining both elements
- you will develop your skills, including English and maths
- if you are aged 16 to 18 or 19+ and in your first year of an apprenticeship, you should receive at least the National Minimum Wage for apprentices (£3.50 an hour as at April 2017). Otherwise you are entitled to the National Minimum Wage rate for your age. Many employers pay well over the minimum
Find out more about NHS apprenticeships
Benefits of being an apprentice with us
Our apprentices work alongside experienced staff to gain job-specific skills and study a related apprenticeship qualification whilst earning a wage, having holiday pay, an entitlement to NHS Discounts and the county apprentice travel card!
We offer apprenticeships in a range of roles from healthcare assistants working in our wards, to secretarial, reception, administration, portering, IT, procurement, finance, pathology and day nursery.
Your future with us
Our apprentices are a valued part of our team. Many of our apprentices transition from their apprenticeship into a substantive, full time role with us. Apprenticeships can lead to all sorts of career opportunities, which may not be obvious when you first join us. This is ideal if you're not quite sure which career path you want to take.
"Completing my English and ICT exam made me more aware that I can achieve things and gave me a sense of belief."Feedback from an apprentice in 2017
Find an apprenticeship today
There are no formal entry requirements for our apprenticeship scheme and no maximum age limit. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic, quick to learn, enjoy meeting people from diverse backgrounds and who want to know that their work makes a difference.
All our live apprenticeship vacancies are published on the NHS jobs website. Have a look today and take your first step towards joining our team!