We’re listening. This page gives you information about how to raise a concern, make a complaint or leave a compliment about our services.

What do I do if I have a concern or want to leave a compliment?

We aim to provide the best care for our patients, but sometimes things do not always go according to plan. If you are not satisfied with the care or treatment you or a relative has received, it is important that we know so that action can be taken to resolve the problem for you quickly.

Often, the quickest and easiest way to resolve a problem or get an answer to any questions you may have is by speaking to the staff caring for you. Staff will always try to resolve your concerns as soon as they arise.

If you are not satisfied with the action taken or would like support with resolving your concerns, you may choose to speak in confidence with a member of our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

Our PALS team listen to the concerns of patients, carers and visitors and can help negotiate prompt solutions on your behalf. They can also provide information about other services which may be of help, as we understand that this may be a distressing time for you.


We are keen to receive both positive and negative

How to contact us:

In person:

PALS office, Ground Floor, Tower Block, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital

Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm

Phone: 0800 019 3282

Email: ghn-tr.pals.gloshospitals@nhs.net

By post:

PALS office, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Great Western Road, Gloucester, GL1 3NN

At busy times, evenings and weekends, your call may be transferred to an answer phone. Please leave a message with your name and number and someone will be in touch.

What do I do if I am still not happy?

Staff will always act professionally and respond to concerns as they are keen to receive feedback.

If however, you feel that your concerns have not been resolved at ward level or by PALS, you can contact the Complaints Department by post or e-mail using the contact details below. Be assured that any concerns that you raise will not be included in your health records.

Please give us as much information about your concerns as you can and include your name, address and date of birth. If you are contacting us on behalf of a relative or friend, we will need their details as previously mentioned and also their consent to carry out an investigation into the concerns raised.

As part of our investigation, we may need to interview staff, as well as review your health records. With this in mind, please make sure that you raise your concerns within 12 months of your treatment.

We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint (this can be by email or in writing). We aim to investigate and draft a response to your complaint within 35 working days and once the response has been agreed by everyone involved in the investigation it is sent to the Chief Executive for final sign off. If for some reason we cannot achieve this we will keep you informed and explain the reason why.

You may wish to attend a meeting with the appropriate manager and clinical staff, which we can arrange for you. If we have identified any failings in the care provided to you, we will be open with you and discuss the action that will be taken to ensure that lessons are learnt.

How to contact the Complaints Department:

Phone: 0300 422 5777 / 5779

Email: ghn-tr.complaints.team@nhs.net

By Post:

Complaints Department, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Great Western Road, Gloucester, GL1 3NN

What do I do if I need help or support to give my feedback?

If you need help or support to give your feedback, please contact a member of the PALS team on the contact details mentioned earlier. People known as advocates can also support you. Advocates can help you to say what you want and make sure that your voice is heard.

For independent complaints advocacy:

POhWER (Advocacy, making your voice heard)

Phone: 0300 003 1162 (charged at the local rate)

By post: POhWER - PO Box 14043, Birmingham, B6 9BL

Online: www.pohwer.net

Email: glosadvocacy@pohwer.net

What if I am unhappy with the outcome of my complaint?

If you remain dissatisfied with the response to your complaint, you have the right to ask the Trust to revisit any issue. If this fails to resolve the matter the Parliamentary & Health Service

Ombudsman can be asked to review your case.

The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman is an independent body established to promote improvements in healthcare through the assessment of the performance of those who provide services.

Phone: 0345 015 4033

Fax: 0300 061 4000

Email: phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk

Website: www.ombudsman.org.uk

By post:

The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP

Printable version of this page

Concerns Complaints Compliments GHPI1398_06_23 Department: Patient experience Review due: June 2024 PDF, 142.1 KB, 4 pages
Reference number GHPI1398_06_23
Department Patient experience
Review due June 2024