This page is designed to give carers/family and friends with information if the person they are caring for discharges themselves from hospital against medical advice. This is known as self-discharge.


Someone may be able to self-discharge if they are believed to have capacity. This can be a confusing time for a carer, but the following information and advice will help you find and access help once the person you support/care for is at home.

Useful telephone numbers are listed at the end of this guide.

Before the person you support/care for discharges themselves:

Speak to the ward staff and let them know that you support/care for the person. The person you support/care for must give permission for the ward staff to share information about them. 

Once permission has been given, you can ask the ward staff for details of the person’s:

  • Medical condition
  • Treatment and investigations already given
  • Medication they are currently taking, including times and reason for use 

You can also ask for:

  • Details of any future medical follow up appointments
  • Details of any services that have been agreed on discharge, such as community nurse visits
  • Details of any care or ongoing treatment plans
  • Request a copy of the persons discharge summary and check that all of the above has been included.
  • Make sure that the ward staff have the person you support/care for up to date GP details (this will allow a copy of the discharge summary to be sent electronically).

If you are not able to speak to the ward staff before discharge:

Contact the person’s GP and make them aware of the discharge. The GP will have been notified by the hospital, and if required, can follow up anything that may be outstanding.

If the person you support/care for requires any of the following, you can request an assessment through the Adult Social Care Helpdesk (contact details are at the end of this guide):

  • Mobility equipment such as a walking frame
  • Physiotherapy
  • Support to wash and dress
  • Help with preparing and cooking meals

Contacting the hospital

To speak to hospital staff once the person is discharged, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS):

PALS Office
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
Great Western Road


Tel: 0800 019 3282
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm. Tuesdays, 11:15am to 4:00pm

Outside of these hours, please leave a message and your contact details. An advisor will return your call as soon as possible.

Gloucestershire Carers Hub

For practical and wellbeing support in the days following discharge from hospital, please contact the Gloucestershire Carers Hub.

The team have specialist local knowledge allowing them to provide information of local services, for example, food and medicine deliveries. Financial advice can also be given.

Gloucestershire Carers Hub can also help you in your caring role by giving you information, advice and guidance.

Tel: 0300 111 9000
Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm, Tuesday and Thursday, 8:00am to 8:00pm


If you are concerned about the person’s safety at home and their risk of harm, please call the police on 101. In an emergency call 999.

If the person you care for needs support, call the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on 01452 426 868. 

If you feel a child is at risk, call the Children and Families Services Helpdesk on 01452 426 565. 

If you require medication for the person you support/care for, please call NHS 111. This service holds a list of the out-ofhours pharmacy’s and can access details of the person’s prescribed medication from their GP’s surgery. If the person’s usual pharmacy is open (this is where they normally collect their medication from) NHS 111 may be able to issue an emergency supply, based on the current records held.

Useful contact information

Adult Social Care

Gloucestershire County Council can help find solutions to assist the person to remain independent. Short-term support may be offered to get the person you care for back on their feet or to be confidently living an independent life. For those who need a plan for their long-term care and support, the council works with partners and providers to offer the highest quality of support required.

Tel: 01452 426 868 Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm

Outside of these hours please contact: Tel: 01452 614 194

Children’s and Families Social Care Service

To report welfare concerns about a child or to find out whether you or the person you care for is eligible for support, please contact Gloucestershire County Council's Children and Families Helpdesk. This service can help with children aged 0 to 18 years of age (or 25 years if the young person has a disability or additional needs, and are known to Social Care Services).

Tel: 01452 426 565 Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm

Outside of these hours please contact: Tel: 01452 614 194

PALS: Patient Advice and Liaison Service

Patient advice and support

The PALS advisors can help answer your hospital related questions and provide impartial information on a range of issues relating to hospital services.

The advisors can also offer advice about the NHS and help you access support groups outside the NHS.

Tel: 0800 019 3282 Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm

Tuesdays, 11:15am to 4:00pm

Gloucestershire Carers Hub

Local, trained advisors can provide information and advice on a wide range of subjects, including help following hospital discharge and offer support to suit the patient’s needs, or just be there to listen. The team can also assist you to put plans in place in an emergency, should anything happen to you as a carer. Gloucestershire Carers Hub supports carers over the age of 18 years.

Tel: 0300 111 9000 Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm

Tuesday and Thursday, 8:00am to 8:00pm

Community Nurses

Community nurses (sometimes known as district nurses) mainly visit people who are at home and are unable to get to services based at their GP’s surgery, hospital or other clinics. The nurses may also see people in clinics or other settings to provide specific services, such as care for leg ulcers. Tel: 0300 421 0555

Mental Health Support in a crisis

For anyone who needs help in a Mental Health Crisis living in Gloucestershire; this includes advice for carers.

Tel: 0800 169 0398 Available 24 hours, 7 days a week

Gloucestershire Self Harm Helpline

This service provides a safe, supportive, non-judgmental and informative space for people who self harm, their friends, families and carers. The helpline provides confidential emotional support and information; support and understanding during a crisis; promotes coping strategies and self-management to help the person you support/care for work towards recovery.

Text: 07537 410 022

Tel: 0808 816 0606 Every day, 5:00pm to 10:00pm

Note: From 1 April 2023 this will be replaced by a new Wellbeing Helpline to support adults living in Gloucestershire who are experiencing mild to moderate mental health difficulties, such as anxiety, low mood or depression, including support for self-harm. We can also provide support and information to friends, family, carers and professionals.

The Helpline is available 365 days a year between 2pm and 9pm. People can contact us by text telephone or webchat:

Phone 0808 801 0606

Text 07537 410 022


You can access advice if you are worried about someone else, if you think it is an emergency or you are supporting someone with suicidal thoughts.

Tel: 116 123 Website

Age UK Gloucestershire: Out of hospital service

The Out of Hospital service works with patients aged over 65 years for up to 4 weeks to reassure and help identify what is important to get back on their feet and build longer-term confidence following discharge from hospital.

Tel: 01452 420937 Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm


The service offers support and information to anyone who has concerns about cancer; this includes relatives, friends and carers.

Tel: 0808 239 14 92 (Freephone) Every day, 8:00am to 8:00pm

Managing Memory Together

They support people who are worried about memory, people with dementia and carers of people with dementia, in Gloucestershire.

Tel: 0800 684 8800. Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm

Alzheimer’s Society

The society provides information and advice about dementia, from diagnosis to support with symptoms.

Tel: 01452 525 222 (Local)

Tel: 0333 150 3456 (National)

Inclusion Gloucestershire

Supports people with disabilities and mental ill health.

Tel: 01452 234 003

Gloucestershire Parent Carer Forum

Gloucestershire Parent Carer Forum provides support for those with lived experience of being a Parent Carer. This means parents and/or carers of children with any disability, SEN, condition, impairment or additional need.

Tel: 07494 704564

Gloucestershire Young Carers

Gloucestershire Young Carers support children and young people under the age of 18, until they are 24 years old. Young carers are children who provide regular or ongoing care and/or emotional support to a family member. Gloucestershire Young Carers provide support to help children build on their strengths and enjoy their childhood, working in partnership with other organisations.

Tel: 01452 733 060

Families Information Service

Free impartial, confidential information, advice and signposting for families with children aged 0 to 19 years (or 25 if the young person has a disability or additional needs) and the professionals working with them.

Tel: 01452 427363

Tel: 0800 542 0202 (Freephone)

Your Circle

Your Circle is a directory to help you find your way around care and support and connect with people, places and activities in Gloucestershire.

Printable version of this page

Self-discharge (GHPI1697_10_21) Department: Acute Care Review due: October 2024 PDF, 681.1 KB, 7 pages
Reference number GHPI1697_10_21
Department Acute Care
Review due October 2024