Body Mass Index (BMI) and fertility
This page outlines the risks and possible complications linked to obesity and the benefits of losing weight. You may find this information useful as you have recently been given advice about how life style changes and weight loss will help to improve your fertility.
Problems and risks linked with obesity
- Irregular periods
- Increased risk of infertility
- Increased risk during fertility surgery
- Reduced success with fertility treatments
Pregnancy complications with obesity
- High blood pressure during pregnancy
- Diabetes in pregnancy
- Birth defects
- High birth weight baby
- Caesarean section
Benefits of weight loss
- Weight loss can improve ovulation and pregnancy rates.
- It can improve your overall health.
- It helps improve self-esteem and wellbeing.
Fertility centres strict policy for admitting women for treatment
- If your BMI is more than 30, it is advised you lose weight before treatment and discuss this with the anaesthetist.
- If your BMI is more than 35, then treatment cannot be offered.
If you have any questions, please contact the fertility nurses through Mrs K Reddy’s secretary on the number below.
Cotswold Fertility Unit
Tel: 0300 422 3128
Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
Human Fertilisation Embryology Authority