Cheltenham General Hospital


0300 422 3046

Sandford Road, Cheltenham

GL53 7AN

Provides emergency and minor injuries services. Open 24 hours a day. Please note, specialist children's services are based at Gloucestershire Royal A&E.

When should I go to A&E?

A&E is for emergencies only. An emergency includes:

  • life or limb-threatening injuries
  • serious head injuries
  • chest pain
  • severe abdominal (stomach) pains
  • heavy bleeding
  • broken limbs (fractures)
  • choking
  • breathing difficulties

If you come to A&E you should expect to be seen and treated, admitted or discharged within four hours. Please be aware that we see patients according to the seriousness of their condition. For this reason, you may notice patients who arrived after you being seen before you.

If you need medical advice or treatment but you're not sure whether you need to go to a GP, Minor Injuries Unit or A&E? Visit ASAP Glos for guidance.

Where should I take my child in an emergency?

If your child is critically ill or needs to be admitted to hospital please call 999 and they will be taken via ambulance to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital's A&E.

This is where our specialist paediatricians (children's doctors) are based and they can provide your child with the care they need.

Our leaflet about children's emergencies gives parents a handy guide to symptoms and where to take your child when they need medical attention.


  • You should only bring your child to Cheltenham A&E if you are confident your child will not need to be admitted to a ward
  • There are no specialist facilities for ill children to be seen in Cheltenham A&E except during the day (8am until 8pm) when our staff can treat minor injuries and illnesses only
  • Children should NOT be brought to Cheltenham A&E at all at night (after 8pm).

Please note:

  • All ambulances will take children to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, regardless of the time of day or night
  • You can also bring your children to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital A&E at any time of day or night.

Where should I go if I'm pregnant and I have an emergency?

If you become unwell while pregnant and need to attend A&E you may be transferred to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital where you can be cared for with the help of trained obstetricians and midwives who are based in our Women's Centre.

If you have a general concern about your health during pregnancy please call your midwife for advice, or call our Maternity Advice Line or the delivery suites or birth units for advice and support.

Other information

There are a variety of food shops and restaurants at our hospitals, as well as vending machines. Read more about food and drink in our hospitals.

Please note: Smoking is not permitted in any building or within the grounds of any of our sites.

Free Wifi

Free Wifi is available throughout our hospitals. If you have any difficulty accessing this, please speak to a member of ward staff.