Speech and Language Therapy
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
0300 422 8105
Our therapists offer assessment and treatment of communication and swallowing difficulties in adults.
We assess communication and/or swallowing difficulties at an outpatient appointment and work closely with patients and their families or carers to provide advice or treatment as appropriate. We offer clinics at a range of locations throughout the county.
Treatments offered include:
- voice therapy
- aids to help with communication
- communication/swallowing after stroke
- communication/swallowing after a head injury
- communication/swallowing associated with long term neurological conditions such as Parkinson's Disease or Motor Neurone Disease
- communication/swallowing after cancer of the head and neck
- videofluroscopy – This is an x-ray which allows the Speech and Language Therapist to view a patient's swallow, to assess the severity of the difficulty; strategies may also be recommended to manage it. Videofluoroscopy may be requested whilst the patient is an in hospital, or it can be arranged as an out-patient appointment
- Voice Clinic - a specialist clinic where video or photographs are taken of the larynx to help with treatment planning.
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists support speech and language therapists by providing leadership, setting professional standards, facilitating research and promoting better education and training.
- Health Professions Council
- Giving Voice
- Carers Gloucestershire
The Best Care For Everyone