Lung function and sleep service
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
0300 422 6819
Cheltenham General Hospital
0300 422 4313
The Lung Function and Sleep Service is provided by a team of respiratory physiologists, practitioners and clinical staff.
Coronavirus (COVID-19): service update
Due to our hospitals' response to coronavirus, we are running a limited service.
If you have an urgent problem with your continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) equipment, please call us or email email@example.com. We will get back to you as soon as we can but this may take a few days.
The Lung Function and Sleep Service
We are predominately involved in diagnostic testing for respiratory diseases and obstructive sleep apnoea. The department also provides oxygen assessments and treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea.
This service is run across both the Gloucestershire Royal and Cheltenham General Hospitals.
At Gloucestershire Royal Hospital we are located within the Clinical Investigations unit on the ground floor. From the main entrance follow the signs for 'Imaging 1 and Clinical Investigations'. This will guide you along the corridor between the two shops, enter through the doors and turn left into waiting area B.
At Cheltenham General Hospital we are located on Level Two of the College Road Wing.
On arrival please report to the reception signposted 'Lung Function Office'.
The hospital maps for both sites are available here
Please leave adequate time for parking when visiting the hospital.
Tests we perform
- Spirometry and Flow Volume Loops to measure airflow through the airways
- Full Lung Function Tests to measure airflow, capacity and efficiency of the lungs
- Bronchodilator Reversibility Tests to assess the response to medications e.g. Salbutamol and/or Ipratropium Bromide
- Long Term Oxygen Therapy Assessment to determine whether/how much supplementary oxygen is required to maintain acceptable blood gas levels
- Fit to Fly Assessment to assess requirement for supplementary oxygen during flight
- Respiratory Muscle Weakness Tests to determine the strength of the diaphragm and other muscles involved during breathing
- Cardio-pulmonary Exercise Tests to investigate how your breathing, heart and lungs respond to exercise
- Piko Tests to investigate occupational asthma
- Overnight Sleep Studies involves wearing a monitor at home to investigate sleep related breathing disorders, specifically sleep apnoea
- CPAP treatment involves wearing a mask at night to treat sleep related breathing disorders. Once established on treatment you will be followed up annually by this department.
- Monday: 08:00 - 17:30
- Tuesday: 08:00 - 17:30
- Wednesday: 08:00 - 17:30
- Thursday: 08:00 - 19:00
- Friday: 08:00 - 17.30
Please be aware we are unable to offer a drop-in service, please ring the department to discuss your query first.
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital: 0300 422 6819
Cheltenham General Hospital: 0300 422 4313
(An answerphone is available outside of opening hours and also during busy times when we are not available to answer the phone, if you leave a message we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible)